When it comes to options for romantic getaways, add Helen, Georgia, to the top of your list and check out these 15 couples activities in this Bavarian mountain town.
Nestled at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Helen offers couples the perfect mix of outdoor adventure, culinary delights and downtown entertainment.
Whether you’re a pre-kids couple, empty nesters or have managed to ship your kids off to Grandma’s for a weekend away, here’s to fun couples activities and living it up during your romantic trip to Helen.
- Waterfall Hikes
- Couples Massage
- Winery Tours and Tastings
- Horse-Drawn Carriage Ride
- Side-by-Side Ziplining
- Local Performances
- Fine Dining
- Hikes to Overlooks
- Horseback Riding
- Cozy Cabins with a Hot Tub
- Splitting Sweets and Treats
- Coffee Shop Chats
- Tandem Tubing Down the River
- Stroll Hand in Hand through Downtown Helen
- Escape Room Thrills
If you’re an enthusiast of the great outdoors, Helen is the perfect vacation destination for nature lovers. This charming mountain town is surrounded by forests, state parks, lakes, rivers and waterfalls.
Most people who enjoy the outdoors can agree that there’s something magnetic and mesmerizing about waterfalls. In fact, many people set out on road trips to hit as many waterfalls in one area as possible when they travel to a new place.
Lie back, relax and unwind together with a side-by-side couples massage. Make an appointment for a 55- or 85-minute couples massage at The Spa at Lucille’s Mountain Top Inn. Set on a mountain top overlooking North Georgia’s historic Sautee Valley, the spa is a tranquil hideaway to relax with a romantic massage together.
Located within the Valhalla Resort just north of downtown Helen, book a visit with Solasta Spa to enjoy a 60-minute Swedish massage in the couple’s suite and finish off the romantic experience with a glass of wine.
Just a 7 minute drive east of downtown Helen, The Spa at Nacoochee Crossing also offers an amazing couples massage from masseurs that have been practicing for decades.
Winery Tours and Tastings
It’s hard to get more romantic than by sipping local wines from scenic vineyard patios surrounded by the mountains. In fact, you’ll be surprised at the thriving wine production in North Georgia that now rivals the markets in California and Europe. Most vineyards offer tours and tastings—or you can purchase wine by the glass or bottle to take home with you. Whether you prefer red or white wine (or even rosé or muscadine), North Georgia wineries offer an array of grape varieties for all palates.
Check out a few of our favorite wineries near Helen that are the perfect couples activity, have scenic outdoor seating and showcase the beauty of this area of North Georgia. Relish the mountain breeze as you stroll hand-in-hand through the lush rows of grape vines.
Horse-Drawn Carriage Ride
Carriage rides are one of Helen’s big draws for visitors—and Alpine Carriage Company and Pegasus Horse Drawn Carriages are available in downtown Helen to cater to your romantic whims. Take a picturesque ride around downtown or go the historical route. These companies also offer hotel and restaurant pick-up, and some buggies are handicap accessible.
If you’re a thrill-seeking couple, make sure you stop by Nachoochee Adventures, just south of downtown Helen. The adventure company offers a 1/2-mile Big Zip Intimidator that is the longest dual zipline in Georgia. You’ll get spectacular views of Mount Yonah and the Sautee Indian Mound as you zip down the line with your partner.
From concerts to plays to monologues, the nearby Sautee Nacoochee Center has all types of performances to offer visitors. Check out the center’s billboard to see what performances take the stage during your trip to Helen.
Also, many shops, restaurants and wineries offer live music on weekends when the weather is ideal for outdoor seating. Some of our favorite scenic spots with music include JumpinGoat Coffee Roasters, The Heidelberg, Yonah Mountain Vineyards, Bigg Daddy’s Restaurant & Tavern, Creekstone Winery, Hofbrauhaus Restaurant & Pub and Mully’s Nacoochee Grill.
If you’re in town for Oktoberfest, you’ll find lively German music at the Festhalle. Also, be sure to study Helen’s Visitors Bureau calendar to discover other musical shows in the area before your visit.
A romantic dinner is always a great way to end your days exploring Helen together. Luckily, Helen offers a few great spots for fine dining near downtown.
- Mully’s Nacoochee Grill: This restaurant is a favorite for visitors and locals alike. Enjoy farm-to-table options and upscale Southern and American cuisine. The restaurant also features a full bar and scenic outside porch dining.
- Caledonia Dining Room at Valhalla Resort: This fine dining area within the Valhalla Resort offers sunset views of the Blue Ridge Mountains with piano music in the background. The restaurant’s chef can also cater to specialty diets.
- Bodensee Restaurant: For authentic Bavarian cuisine from a German Chef, stop by Bodensee during your trip to Helen. Try the rouladen, spaetzle, goulash and wursts to satiate your taste of Germany.
- Bernie’s Restaurant: Bernie’s offers an intimate upscale dining experience that’s perfect for a romantic weekend to Helen. Enjoy top-notch customer service, elegant cocktails and whole fresh food options from a chef that can accommodate most any food allergies.
- Spice 55: If you’re looking to change up your tastebuds, try Spice 55 for upscale Thai food and excellent sushi (especially in the mountains!). It’s another great option for fine dining with great service.
Hikes to Overlooks
Some of the most memorable romantic activities require a little bit of exertion. Hiking to scenic overlooks near Helen is a great way to get your heartrate up before sharing a few peaceful, serene moments at the top of a mountain. If you plan ahead, stop by Betty’s Country Store in downtown Helen to snag some essentials for a picnic lunch to share at an overlook.
Here are a few of our favorite overlooks near Helen offering many scenic options for outdoor couples activities:
- Brasstown Bald: If you’re not an avid hiker, Brasstown Bald may be the best choice for you. You can choose to walk the steep, paved 0.6 miles to the top of Georgia’s highest peak or take the shuttle up. Either way, the views from the top won’t disappoint, especially in the fall during leaf-changing season.
- Tallulah Gorge: Experience spectacular views of the 1,000-foot gorge that spans 2 miles in length at Tallulah Gorge State Park. Hike the loop around the gorge, traversing a suspension bridge 80 feet above the water before tackling flight after flight of steps to some amazing lookout points.
- Cow Rock Mountain: Tesnatee Gap to Cow Rock Mountain is a 1.8-mile hike that is a great length for couples who hike regularly. Perch on boulders at the top to enjoy a snack or picnic while you enjoy the 180-degree views from the northern peak, with an elevation of 3,852 feet.
- Preacher’s Rock: A popular hike for morning sunrises and evening sunsets, Preacher’s Rock is a short and sweet 2-mile out and back trail that offers spectacular views from the top.
- Ramrock Mountain: Across the road from the trailhead for Preacher’s Rock, you’ll find the start of the trail to Ramrock Mountain. It’s a 3.6-mile out-and-back trail that is fairly easy and offers views of the surrounding mountains from 3,737 feet at the top.
- Yonah Mountain: Adventurous hikers can tackle the difficult 2.2 miles up Yonah Mountain. The mountain views from the 3,143-foot lookout at the top are scenic and perfect for a picnic.
One of the best ways to soak up North Georgia’s fall scenery while spending time together as a couple is to go horseback riding. Sunburst Adventures in nearby Clarksville, Georgia, offers several guided trail options that pass by picturesque mountain tops and valleys. Chattahoochee Stables in nearby Sautee, Georgia, offers a 1-hour guided trail ride that takes you through views of the Chattahoochee River and beautiful mountain scenery.
Cozy Cabins with a Hot Tub
Nothing says romantic mountain vacation like a log cabin outfitted with a hot tub, and thankfully, Helen has countless cabin options that will suit your needs. Check out the Visitor’s Bureau list of reputable cabins near Helen. You’re sure to find one to accommodate your taste, budget and amenity requirements (go for the hot tub!).
Splitting Sweets and Treats
No matter what time of year you plan a couples trip to Helen, there will be plenty of sweets and treats waiting for you. If ice cream is a favorite, try:
- Adult ice cream flavors such as Bourbon Caramel Pecan or Banana’s Foster from Das Ice Cream Cafe
- Delicious German Chocolate ice cream from the Homemade Ice Cream shop in downtown Helen
- A funnel cake from Granny’s Famous Funnel Cake Haus with a scoop of ice cream on the side
Apart from the cold treats, you can share a bag of Christoff’s Caramel Corn or sample one of the many sweets at Hansel & Gretel Candy Kitchen, Kopper’s Kettle Fudge Shop or Livi Lou’s Sweets and Treats. For bakery goods and German desserts, try out Hofer’s Cafe.
Coffee Shop Chats
Not only will coffee help to fuel your romantic weekend in Helen, cozying up in a coffee shop is also a romantic way to spend the morning as a couple. Intimate talks over coffee can help to open up communication and give you the chance to share your dreams of the future together.
Tandem Tubing Down the River
Tubing in Helen is one of the top tourist attractions and couples activities in the summer—and it’s a great way to cool off and relax while soaking up the great outdoors. Tie your tube up with your partner and leisurely shoot the hooch during warmer months.
Stroll Hand in Hand through Downtown Helen
Did you know that downtown Helen boasts more than 200 specialty shops? You can easily spend half a day exploring the bustling, artistic, Bavarian shopping district that is paved with cobblestone streets. Apart from eating, drinking, enjoying live music and window shopping, you can also watch some of the many demonstrations that some downtown businesses offer. Witness glassblowing demonstrations at the Glassblowing Shop, toys being made at Tim’s Wooden Toys and candy making demonstrations at Hansel & Gretel Candy Kitchen, among other options.
Escape Room Thrills
If you love the thrills of romance, tackle one Helen’s well-rated escape rooms for a chance to play the hero. Many visitors to Helen find themselves going back a second time to MindEscapes Escape Rooms or The Lost Room Escape Adventures during their trip because they loved the fun, challenge and adventure.
What is one of your favorite romantic couples activities to do in Helen? Leave a comment!
For more information on Helen, check out all my posts.