If you are searching for a delicious, fudge-like chocolate frosting that is dairy free, you’ve found it. Try this tasty three-ingredient recipe that includes coconut cream, which makes it extra decadent.
I’m not a big birthday person, but my Rowdy boys sure are. They jump at a chance to celebrate anyone’s birthday because birthdays = parties and parties = cake.
As we’re in the middle of getting ready to move in just a couple weeks, it would have been much easier just to buy a small birthday cake to make celebrations easy this year. But because my little Beaudozer is still on an Elimination Diet of the top 8 allergens, I knew I had to take a stab at making a homemade cake that he could enjoy along with the rest of us. Because even though birthdays = cake to my Rowdy boys, birthdays = family to this Mama. So happy egg-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free birthday to me!
I based the cake off a recipe I found by Minimalist Baker, and of course her cake looks much tastier than mine. I wonder if that had anything to do with me substituting oat flour for pastry flour…or coconut milk for almond milk…or coconut sugar for cane sugar? Obviously, I’m not one for strictly following recipes!
But the real winner was the Dairy Free Chocolate Coconut Cream Frosting on the cake. And of course, I’m a frosting kind of girl and will always pick the cake edge pieces with extra frosting instead of the middle pieces.
I decided to make this cake on a whim during nap time, so when it came to the frosting I had to wing it since I couldn’t use my favorite frosting ingredients of cream cheese or butter. And we didn’t have any confectioners sugar in the pantry, so that wasn’t an option either. But we did have a few cans of coconut milk, a bag of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (dairy free) and unsweetened cocoa. So I made the most of these three ingredients and out came a delicious fudge-like frosting that I will absolutely be making again for the next celebratory event.
Dairy Free Chocolate Frosting
- 2 cans Thai Kitchen Coconut milk
- 1 package Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- sea salt
- vanilla extract
- Remove coconut cream from top of both cans and place in mixing bowl, then set bowl in fridge for about 15 minutes to chill.
- In microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate chips for 30 seconds at a time, stirring each time until just melted. Set aside to cool (but not harden) for about 10 minutes.
- Remove bowl from fridge and use a spatula to add in melted chocolate, then blend until smooth.
- Blend in 1/4 cup cocoa powder until smooth and stiff.
- Add in a dash of sea salt and a few drops of vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate 15 more minutes and frost cake once cool.
Yeah, it’s really simple. But simple can be so good. Because this dairy free chocolate frosting is made with coconut cream, it will begin to soften quickly at room temperature (especially now that the weather is getting warm). So be sure to store your cake in the fridge to make sure the frosting stays on the cake.