I recently mentioned that one of my favorite mom hacks is to order books from our local library online, then simply pop in to pick them up. This tactic has worked well this summer as I am taking the kids to and fro on daily adventures—and it also works well during holiday seasons when life is busy.
Most recently, I ordered a big batch of back to school books to get my kids acclimated to the idea of school starting soon. I’ll have a first grader, Pre-Ker and 3-mornings-a-week preschooler, so I stuck with an assortment of picture books that would be relevant to 3-6 year olds.
I don’t have a Kindergartner this year (see why I’m redshirting my 5 year old), but I had one last year and will have one the following two years. As a result, you won’t see any getting “ready for Kindergarten” books in this list—though there are a ton out there.
If you’re looking for a great way to get your kids back into the school mindset, check out my list of the 25 best back to school picture books for kids.
Note: I’m linking to these books on Amazon in case you want to get a synopsis or look at reviews, but most can be found at your local library.
25 Best Back to School Picture Books
- How Do Dinosaurs Go to School? by Jane Yolen
- Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes by Eric Litwin
- Louise the Big Cheese and the Back-to-School Smarty-Pants by Elise Primavera
- First Grade Jitters by Robert Quackenbush
- How Rocket Learned to Read by Tad Hills
- The Pout-Pout Fish Goes to School by Deborah Diesen
- Chu’s First Day of School by Neil Gaiman
- Little Rabbit Goes to School by Harry Horse
- The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes by Mark Pett
- How Will I Get to School This Year? by Jerry Pallotta
- The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires
- Eddie Gets Ready for School by David Milgrim
- The Art Lesson by Tomie DePaola
- Brand-New Pencils, Brand-New Books by Diane De Groat
- Dinosaur vs. School by Bob Shea
- Back to School Tortoise by Lucie M. George
- School’s First Day of School by Adam Rex
- Splat the Cat: Back to School, Splat! by Lara Bergen
- Follow the Line to School by Laura Ljungkvist
- Curious George’s First Day of School by H. A. Rey
- I Love School! by Philemon Sturges
- First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg
- Back to School, Mallory by Laura B. Friedman
- Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
- I’m Smart! by Kate McMullan
What are some of your kids’ favorite back to school picture books?
This post contains affiliate links, which help to support this website.