Well, if you haven’t, it’s to die for.
So what, you might ask, would a paleo-er eat with apple butter, considering we boycott bread? Good question. See what your taste buds think about these options:
- Melt apple butter over pecans and warm in oven.
- Spread over paleo pancakes. (I’ll do a post about this soon)
- Glaze pork chops, pork tenderloin or pork roast.
- Drizzle over morning sausage patties.
- Add to scrambled eggs and bacon.
- Use it as a dip for sweet potato fries.
- 12 apples (use different varieties)
- 2/3 cup raw honey
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
1. First, peel your apples. This takes a while, but I firmly believe the more work you put into cooking, the better it tastes.
2. After they’re undressed, core and chop them.
Along the way, I placed my chopped apples in the crockpot. And half way through, I was wondering whether they’d all fit.
But whew, they just made it.
4. Place mixture in crockpot and cook on high for 1 hour.
5. Reduce to low and cook for 8 to 9 hours, stirring occasionally. Here’s a glimpse of how it looks around the 4-hour mark.
6. Once apples have broken down, use hand mixer to blend mixture until it reaches desired consistency.