I can’t believe it’s been a week since I’ve posted. This month has started off busy, but here are some things that I’m loving this month:
1. Spring Dresses: Last weekend I broke out a spring dress with Rainbows. I was in heaven. And I just recently purchased some spring dresses online from Kohl’s (on sale!), so I’m crossing my fingers they fit. My look is quite different from this model’s. I’m hoping no one will notice because they’re so mesmerized by the dots.
2. Freelancing: I’ve written four freelance articles in the past couple months, so that’s what’s funding my new buying spree. But I promise, these dresses were on sale and I got free shipping! I’m super grateful for this opportunity.
3. Sunshine: Before watching the back 9 of the Masters on Sunday, I went to the pool and stuck my ankles in the water. It was freezing, so I soon became numb. But the sun was blazing, as evidenced my the tan I have on my thighs. It definitely felt weird breaking out the bathing suit when only a week ago I was in long sleeves and pants. But I’m not complaining. I’ve longed for some good Vitamin D.
4. Softball: April marked the beginning of my six-month co-ed softball season. I love, love, love softball. I still get a twinge of nervousness before every game–just like when I was 12! The past two weekends, James and I have gone to the batting cages. Not the ones with machines, the ones where you pitch and duck behind the net. Batting is actually a great working if you have a basket of balls. I like to think this practice contributed to my 5 for 6 at bats tonight (personal plug!). This was my second week playing second base because our normal baseman was out. I’ll definitely go where I’m needed, but I can’t wait to play outfield again. Infield grounders are not my cup of tea.
5. Inov8s: I must have been a good girl for the past year, because I got a pair of pink Inov8s for my birthday. They.are.awesome. It’s nice to have a pair of shoes to switch out with my Nike Frees. Yesterday at CrossFit Addiction, we finished the workout with four 400 meter sprints. I seriously felt like I was flying with these on. Well, the first 200 meters, anyway. After that, my sprint slowed to a run.
6. Periodization: Never heard of that term? Yeah, me either until earlier this week. James is giving CrossFit Addiction members the option of trying a 6-week periodization program based on linear progression to build strength. Those strictly following the program will only come to the gym Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Each day you come in, you’ll have a goal weight or number of reps you’re aiming for bench, deadlift, clean, press, squat, chin-ups. After the strength workout, we do a short metcon of 10 minutes or less. One of the driving concepts of the program is that you don’t get stronger by lifting; you get stronger by recovering.