For years, I’ve made the cookie recipe on the back of the Trader Joe’s bag of gluten-free rolled oats. It’s always been good, but over the years, I’ve adapted the recipe to fit my tastes and preferences. I’ve cut back a bit on the sugar because it’s plenty sweet, and also cut back on the amount of oats to make it chewier.
I love this recipe because it’s naturally gluten free, and the rolled oats and full cup of peanut butter help to balance out the sugar.
I don’t make cookies often—mainly because I’m the one eating up all the leftovers since my husband doesn’t have a sweet tooth. But when I do make cookies, this is the recipe I use the majority of the time, so I thought I’d share it.
The Best Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
(adapted from the Trader Joe’s recipe)
- ¼ cup salted butter, softened (dairy-free butter optional)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 ½ cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips (use Enjoy Life chips for dairy-free option)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar and brown sugar, then beat until creamy.
- Beat in eggs, vanilla and baking soda.
- Beat in peanut better until creamy.
- Stir or beat in oats and chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 1/8 cup of dough and place about 2 inches apart on lined cookie sheet (parchment paper or silicone liner).
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes (depending on cookie size) until lightly browned.
- Let cool on pan 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack or counter to cool.
Makes approximately 30 large cookies.
If you make this recipe, let me know if you also think it makes the best chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies!