Chocolate. You know you want it. And if you’re like me, you
need want it every day.
Sure, you know it’s chock full of sugar (the white kind!), but you once read that it’s packed with antioxidants that help prevent cancer. Therefore, the more chocolate you eat, the more cancer you prevent, so why not eat the whole candy bar?
But I think I’ve found a better option to getting that fix. One with less sugar and numerous health benefits. Introducing, Chocolate Almond Spread. It’s as tasty as Nutella, but has far less sugar, and if you’re counting, less calories.
Nutella (2 tbsp)
Homemade Chocolate Almond Spread (2 tbsp)
- 3/4 c almond butter
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
1. First, locate a container with a lid. I had an extra 1/2 pint canning jar around the house, and thought it would make a great container.
Here is my attempt at an artistic picture–that didn’t turn out so hot. Maybe with the hubby’s nice camera, it would have (hint, hint!)
2. Place almond butter in jar. Since the butter is so sticky and messy, I filled my jar with 3/4 cup of water, memorized the imaginary fill line, then spooned in the butter up to that line. Much easier than putting the butter in a measuring cup then transferring it.
3. Stir in honey until smooth and creamy. This will really test your hand strength!
4. Slowly stir in cocoa and pinch of salt. Careful, if you stir too fast you’ll experience a poof of cocoa powder.
5. This concoction may look like something slightly unappealing to the taste buds. But rest assured, once you eat a spoonful, it’ll be hard to put down.
Enjoy by the spoonful, or along with a banana or apple.